Our current scripture focus is the book of I Corinthians. No other New Testament book speaks as powerfully to both the importance, and the challenge, of Christian community. Paul’s letter reveals just how messy and conflicted the Corinthian congregation often was.
Rather than sugarcoat these realities, Paul helps us see the genius of God’s design for church: in the midst of the mess, we get softened and shaped, humbled and held, in such a way that our character becomes more like that of Christ. Just as a rock tossed into a tumbler with a bunch of other rocks gets knocked around, only to emerge polished and perfected, so our fellowship becomes a “gospel tumbler” in which we can become our best and most beautiful selves.
“…it is grace, nothing but grace, that we are allowed to live in community with Christian brethren.” ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together
- Sept 10 A Collective Identity 1 Cor 1:1-3 Communion
- Sep 17 Embracing Dignity 1 Cor 1:1-9
- Sep 24 Embracing Unity 1 Cor 1:10-17
- Oct 1 Embracing the Upside-Down Gospel 1 Cor 1:18 – 2:5 World Communion
- Oct 8 Embracing Christ as Head 1 Cor 3:1-23 Pastor Christy Polk
- Oct 15 Embracing Accountability 1 Cor 5:1-13
- Oct 22Embracing a New Identity 1 Cor 6:9-20
- Oct 29 Embracing Freedom in Every Circumstance 1 Cor 7:17-24
- Nov 5 Embracing a Life for Others 1 Corinthians 9:19-23; 10:23-11:1
- Nov 12 Embracing the Table 1 Cor 11:17-27 Rev. Dick Spencer
- Nov 19 Embracing the Gifts of the Spirit 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, 27-31
- Nov 26 Embracing the Greatest Gift 1 Corinthians 13
When God Shows Up: Advent Season
- Dec 3 Expect the Unexpected Isaiah 40:1-11
- Dec 10, The Proud Are Humbled Luke 1:5-25, 57-66
- Dec 17 The Humble Are Exalted Luke 2:1-20
- Dec 24, 10am Children’s Pageant with Carols
- Dec 24, 6 & 11pm Salvation Draws Near Luke 2:25-32
- Dec 31, 10am Year-end Service of Testimony
1 Corinthians: Embracing Community
- January 7 Embracing an Authentic Faith 1 Cor. 14:20-25 A “showy” faith? Or a faith of the heart?
- January 14 Embracing Our Testimony Communion, Kevin Gates Preaching 1 Cor. 15:1-11 The historical, and personal, reality of the gospel.
- January 21 Embracing Hope 1 Cor. 15:12-26 The Resurrection, and why it matters.
- January 28 Embracing Life in Eternal Perspective 1 Cor. 15:54-58 Living today in light of tomorrow’s victory.
- February 4 “Embracing the Messiness of Life Together” Guest Speaker, Alison Finstad, EMPART 1 Cor. 16:1-12 Life together between the sublime and the ridiculous. – not recorded
- February 11 Embracing the High Calling of the Christian Walk Communion 1 Cor. 16:13-14 Final words to live by.