December 6, 2023
Dear Oak Hills Family –
As we near the winter solstice, its hard not to feel the impact of darkness. There’s not much daylight available between morning and evening, and our spirits feel the absence. Its not a coincidence that this is the time of year when we celebrate Christmas. The bible portrays Jesus’ arrival as the eruption of light into darkness. As we move through this season, I’m praying for his light to sustain each of us, and to shine through us in a dark world!
Join us this Sunday as we mark the second Sunday in Advent with the lighting of the “peace” candle. We’ll also share the Lord’s supper, and hear about the greatest holiday light show ever witnessed. This is also pledge commitment Sunday. Many of you have already mailed your 2024 pledges in (thank you!). For those who intend to pledge but haven’t yet done so, we’ll pass the offering plates during worship, and then pray over them together to dedicate our commitments to the Lord and seek his provision. Thanks in advance for your commitment to the work of Christ here at Oak Hills! As always, worship is at 10am, in-person or on our Livestream Page.
Then on Sunday evening, join us back at church for Carols and Cocoa! 6-7:30pm. Wear your most festive garb for a chance at winning the sweater contest prize in your age group! Bring instruments to play or special talents to share during our open-mic time, and come ready with Christmas carol requests. We’ll finish the evening with Susan’s famous hot chocolate! Join us…
- Tuesday December 12th, 7pm Backpack Buddies Packing. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Thursday December 14th Women’s Association December Luncheon (Bible Study led by Betsy Holzgraf), 10am Fellowship Hall.
- Saturday December 16th “Prince of Peace” Children’s pageant rehearsal, 10-11:30 in the sanctuary.
- Sunday December 17th Youth Group White Elephant Christmas Party
- Sunday December 24th (Christmas Eve) –
- 10am Worship & Children’s Pageant.
- 8pm Candlelight Worship Service.
- Sunday December 31st (New Year’s Eve) –
- 9am All-church 5th Sunday Breakfast
- 10am Worship Service & Time of Testimony
Here is your verse for today: “May you be made strong with all the strength that comes from his glorious power, so that you may have all endurance and patience, joyfullygiving thanks to the Father, who has enabledyouto share in the inheritance of the saints in the light.He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” – Colossians 1:11-14.
In His Light,