A series of group conversations that explore life, spirituality, and faith through a Christian lens. Alpha creates a non-judgmental and open environment where it’s easy for anyone who is an atheist, skeptic, or just curious about faith to explore questions of life with new friends. Click the green link (above) to lean more!
Thiessen Hill Community Festival
An annual neighborhood party hosted by Oak Hills, featuring food, games, raffle items, live music, and a chance to celebrate our community.
Vacation Bible School
An annual week of fun and bible learning for 80-plus neighborhood kids! For more information, see our VBS page.
Oak Hills packs and delivers take-home bags of healthy food for food-insecure students and their families each week during the school year, delivering up to 100 bags a week through several local elementary schools. Packing takes place at the church on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Contact Louise Anderson, 503-309-1084.
We proudly partner with Clackamas County Love, INC (“Love in the Name of Christ”) a non-profit organization dedicated to showing Christ’s love in practical ways to vulnerable populations in our area (www.clackamasloveinc.org). Through shoe drives, hygiene kits, in-person assistance and other targeted efforts, Oak Hills joins with many area churches in supporting the work of this important organization.
The Family Room
The Family Room (www.familyroomoregon.org) is a non-profit ministry working with families currently separated by DHS. By providing structured family time in a neutral space, The Family Room assists families in their journey of reunification. Oak Hills hosts this ministry on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:30-6:30pm, providing a warm and comfortable environment in which families can grow closer.
Thiessen Roadhouse Ministries
Directed by Oak Hills member Linda Thornton, Thiessen Roadhouse (www.thiessenroadhouse.com ) is a safe home for young women in transition, particularly those escaping domestic violence. We are privileged to partner with Linda’s work, both financially and through special projects and events.
Wycliffe Bible Translators
Through personal contacts and sponsored missionaries, Oak Hills has supported Wycliffe and its vital work of bible translation for decades. We currently give in support of the Rasmussen family serving in Cameroon (www.wycliffe.org/partner/KentKimKids), and John and Jody Wilson, locally based Wycliffe ministry coaches (www.wycliffe.org/partner/JohnJody).
Lahash (www.lahash.org) is a Portland based ministry seeking to build bridges between churches in North America and ministries serving vulnerable children in East Africa. Each year, Oak Hills joins many churches in participating in “Rice & Beans Month,” a shared experience that allows us to stand in solidarity with our global neighbors, and raises money to support orphanages, bible camps and other Lahash ministry partnerships.
Safe Place Romania
Safe Place Romania (www.safeplaceromania.com) exists to rescue trafficking victims off the streets of Romania and introduce them to the healing love of Christ. Through a connection to the US-based board of directors, Oak Hills is taking steps toward active support of this vital work.
Ways to Serve
To belong to Christ is to be called to ministry! Whatever your age, background or passion may be, there is a place in the kingdom for your gifts. The members of Oak Hills serve in a variety of ways, both within and beyond the church. We are actively seeking partners for the following ministries:
In the church:
- Serve as a coffee host, usher or greeter
- Join a rotating team of worship audio techs and media slide presenters (training available!)
- Join the praise team as a vocalist or instrumentalist
- Join the chancel choir
- Help create artwork or décor in our fellowship space
- Join a Sunday school teaching team, or volunteer to support vacation bible school.
- Volunteer as an adult chaperone for youth group, or help lead our summer mission trip.
- Visit our homebound members, cook meals for families in crisis, or join a work party offering yardwork or practical assistance to an elderly neighbor.
- Volunteer to give a ride to church to a senior member in need of transportation.
- Add your name and email address to our prayer chain, and commit to holding the needs of our congregation in prayer.
Beyond the Church:
- Sign up to help pack backpack buddies food bags, or volunteer to shop for supplies.
- Join the team to serve a holiday meal at Clackamas Service Center.
- Join a neighborhood prayer walk.
- Sign up to become a lunch buddy for a local elementary school child through north Clackamas schools
- join our annual adopt-a-highway Thiessen Road cleanup.
- Volunteer your time to a partner ministry organization like Love, Inc., The Family Room, or Lahash International.